Thanks to all of your help we were able to make it to our goal of $2,000 in less than a week! We have come across a few challenges in the past 2 weeks. Our first set of trials happened when we met with DCM and found that we had a few adjustments to make to our project. We changed our paver design to increase the ADA accessibility of the project. We also added rebar to the top of our posts to reinforce against the possible twisting of the cedar as it weathers over time. After we made these changes things started moving along and we began pouring concrete for the foundations on April 17th.
Our pouring was going great until we got the news from the calculations team that we needed stronger brackets to hold the cedar that would provide a better connection to ensure the longevity of the project. We are currently working on fixing these recent bumps we’ve come across and are confident in our ability to develop new solutions.
This change requires unforeseen purchases and returns of materials. We have come to the realization that we will need to raise our budget to $4,500 if we are to make Project RITA a reality for current and future students. We can’t thank you all enough for the donations you’ve given us and we hope that you can help us spread the word about Project RITA so that we are ready for our ribbon cutting and reception on Wednesday May 10th. Don’t forget that we’re continuously updating our website with our progress which you can follow here!
Studio 509 + Paola Sanguinetti