The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) is composed of nine International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
At one point in time, there was a full representation of the Divine Nine at KU. The council oversees community service initiatives, awards academic scholarships, and provides civic engagement assistance, all while bringing awareness to campus issues.
Having a space dedicated to these organizations and their members would not only mean so much to them, but would also depict KU’s commitment to diversity. Many KU students and alumni are proud members of these fraternities and sororities, which became a home away from home during their time at KU. The organizations bring a rich history to KU’s campus, but without a space to call their own, they are unable to celebrate individual fraternity and sorority traditions or bring NPHC organizations together.
With your support, we can meet our goal of raising $50,000 to create a Divine Nine Plaza!
The Divine Nine Plaza will be located near the Burge Student Union and the Integrated Science Building, in KU’s re-developed Central District. Each of nine sororities and fraternities will be represented by a monument that includes founding and charter years as well as the organization’s crest. A historical marker, depicting the story of NPHC, will also be included in the plaza.
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. was founded on December 4th, 1906 at Cornell University. The Upsilon Chapter was chartered at KU on December 21st, 1917
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. was founded on January 15th, 1908 at Howard University. The Delta Chapter was chartered on February 15, 1915 and is the first black Greek letter organization chartered at KU
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. was founded on January 5th, 1911 at Indiana University. The Mu Chapter was charted on March 27th, 1920
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. was founded on November 17th, 1911 at Howard University. The Rho Eta Chapter was charted on April 29th, 1976
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was founded on January 13th, 1913 at Howard University. The Psi Chapter was chartered on June 5th, 1925
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. was founded on January 9th, 1914 at Howard University. The Zeta Omicron Chapter was chartered on October 20th, 1979
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc, was founded on January 16th, 1920 at Howard University. The Omega Theta Chapter was chartered on February 25th, 1979
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc, was founded on November 12th, 1922 at Butler University. The Eta Iota Chapter chartered on October 9th, 1976
- Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc. was founded on September 19th, 1963 at Morgan State University. The KU Colony was charted on May 13th, 1997